We have all heard about antioxidants, but do we really understand why they are so important? Antioxidants are not only important for you overall health, but they are key in preventing the aging process.
HOW DO ANTIOXIDANTS WORK?
Antioxidants protect your skin against free radicals that damage the existing collagen. Harmful free radicals are generated in the body as well as by environmental toxins from air pollution, smoke, pesticides, UV rays, etc.
THREE CLASSES OF ANTIOXIDANTS
- Vitamins (eg. A,C,E)
- Phytonutrients- plant nutrients (eg. polyphenols, flavonoids, carotenoids) found in variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Enzymes made by our body (eg. Superoxide Dismutase, Glutathione Peroxidase)
FOODS HIGH IN ANTIOXIDANTS
Below, are some of the foods that are high in antioxidants. Also, by eating organic, you reduce your risk of exposure to pesticides, and also increase your level of antioxidant consumption.
- Blackberries, Blueberries, Acai Berry, Cranberries
- Granny Smith Apples
- Red Kidney Beans
- Artichokes, Tomatoes
- Green Leafy Vegetables
- Walnuts, Pecans
- Unsweetened, cocoa powder
- Green Tea
ANTIOXIDANTS IN SKIN CARE PRODUCTS
Look for skin products that contain the ingredients below. We carry two wonderful medical-grade lines that contain the antioxidants below.
- Vitamin A (Retinoids)
- Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid or THD Ascorbate)
- Vitamin E